Fire and Rescue

Founded in 1893, today the department has a total of twenty-seven volunteer firefighters and two career personnel. There is a firefighter on duty at the station fifteen hours a day, with the exception of weekends. The Oelwein Fire Department is involved with much more than firefighting. We do many special assignments consisting of lockouts, storm watches, carbon monoxide, confined space rescue, automobile extrication, farm and industrial rescues, unlocking dwellings, and unusual odors. The two main fund raisers hosted every year are the Fathers Day Omelet breakfast hosted on Fathers Day, and the spaghetti supper held on Wednesday of Fire Prevention week. The money made from the fund raisers is used to purchase fire and rescue equipment only.

Any person wishing to become a volunteer firefighter should contact:

Chief Mike Hillmanfire dept

Phone:
(319) 283 8166


Personnel


Chief Mike Hillman, Captain Mike Thoma, Firefighter Nathan Westendorf

Volunteer Firefighters

Michael Barker
Matt Derifield
Joshua Erickson
Michael Fauser, Captain
Ronnie Gish
Betty Haar
Kim Haar
Lance Haar

Ryan Haar
Travis Hanaway
Michael Hillman
Jason Hoveland
James P. Lindstrom
James J. Lindstrom, Deputy Chief
Timothy Meaney
Jay Melchert
Paul Millhouse
Nicholas R. Palmer
Timothy Palmer
Jesse L. Paul
Jordan Richter
Ben Weber, Captain
Matthew Weber, Captain
Tim Weber, Assistant Chief

Equipment


1992 Pumper – 1250 gpm fire pump, 1000 gallon water tank

2007 Pumper – 1500 gpm fire pump, 1000 gallon water tank

1955 Pumper – Reserve Status

1999 Water Tanker – 300 gpm fire pump, 2000 gallon water tank

1991 Rescue – rescue equipment, emergency lighting, etc.

2000 4WD Pickup – 600 gpm fire pump, 240 gallon tank

1996 Special Ops – confined space, ice water rescue and high angle rescue

1977 Aerial/Pumper – 85 foot aerial ladder, ground ladders, 1000 gpm fire pump

 

 

History of Oelwein

The town of Oelwein was laid out in a corn field purchased from G.A. Oelwein on the coming of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Minnesota Railroad (later called the Rock Island) in 1872. Some years later... Read More

Contact Us

 (319) 283-5440
 (319) 283-4032
 20 2nd Ave. S.W.