The Community Development Department oversees Building Permits, Rental Inspections and Code Enforcement. The department is located at City Hall.
Permits within the city limits of Oelwein are required for a variety of items. They provide for control of and adherence to applicable laws and regulations.
Apply for a permit here.
Here is a partial list of permits that may be required.
• Construction of a new residential, commercial or industrial building including garages and accessory buildings
• Construction of an addition to an existing building, dwelling or garage
• Deck, porch, stairs, steps, ramps or entry way
• Any addition or construction that changes the exterior dimensions of existing buildings
• Fencing, new or alteration, relocation or reconstruction
• Electrical Permit – any new, added or change of electrical system
• Plumbing Permit – any new, added or change of plumbing system
• HVAC – any new, added or change of HVAC system
• Demolition of structures* - residential, commercial or industrial
* Fee for demolition permit shall be based upon the Fayette County Assessor’s most recent assessed value of the property and is hereby established at a minimum fee of twenty-five ($25.00) dollars for an assessed value up to $10,000.00 with an additional fee of five ($5.00)dollars for every $1,000 of assessed value in excess thereof.
Contractor Licensing - The City of Oelwein requires that all Contractors working within the City be licensed and/or registered with the City and the State of Iowa. They must also provide an approved surety company bond in the amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) to indemnify the city against claims for accidents or property damage arising from or occasioned by such work. See applicable code sections for further information.
The City of Oelwein has adopted the following codes:
• International Building Code (Section 12-2)
• International Existing Building Code (Section 12-5)
• International Residential Code (Section 12-7)
• Uniform Plumbing Code (Section 12-13)
• Uniform Mechanical Code (Section 12-15)
• National Electrical Code Section 12-16)
Want to put a pool in?
You can take a closer look at the city ordinance and specific requirements by clicking here. Be sure to give us a call at 319-283-5862 if you have questions.
Rental Registrations and Vacant Properties
The City of Oelwein's new Rental and Vacant Building Program is now in effect. Property owners must register their rental property before March 1st annually. Landlords and vacant building owners are encouraged to review the Rental Inspection Policy, Rental Inspection Checklist Guide, Rental Fee Schedule, Rental Code and Vacant Building Permit & Inspection Code. Please note the newly changed fee schedule effective August 12, 2019.
Rental Inspection Estimated Timeline
The estimated initial inspection timeline has changed from quadrants to thirds. An updated map is available here.
Code Enforcement actively responds to concerns and complaints regarding a variety of potential code violations relating to property standards, illegal signage, garbage/trash, etc. that do not comply with chapters 12, 16 and 25 of the city code.
Report a code violation/nuisance here.
Demolition Assistance Application
Demolition cost assistance for up to 50 percent, with a limit not to exceed $5,000 is available from the City of Oelwein through Neighborhood Revitalization Program Funds. Application deadlines are January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 annually. Along with the application, two demolition bids must be included for consideration. All qualified applications will be reviewed and prioritized by the Oelwein City Council. Reimbursement of funds will be awarded 30 days after demolition, once the final demolition invoice and proof of payment are provided and a successful inspection is completed by a Code Enforcement Officer. Download the application here.
Community Development Department Staff
Building Official/Zoning Administrator
James V. Prouty
Building Inspector/Flood Plain Manager/Code Enforcement Officer